1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Noro yarns rank high amongst my favourites, if not the highest! I prefer wool silk or cotton fibres, in any combination with small amounts of synthetics where necessary. When I knit practice squares, like on the sampler blanket, I use acrylic – don’t see the point in wasting wool etc on a blanket!! I really shouldn’t use pure angora or other yarns with lots of fly away long fibres – I may like ’em, but they can set my allergies off.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Shallow filing cabinet drawer.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting since I was eight – my gran taught me. I would say probably seasoned beginner, because there’s so much I should still learn..
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yep – this amazon wishlist link should work, if not let me know!
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Perfume makes me sneeze:( But I do like candles! Recently I found some candlestick shaped ones, which dribble impressively when burned.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Oh yes! Bitter chocolate – the higher the cocoa solid content the better! and chocolate covered marzipan just doesn’t last round me..
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I could go on for ages here – erm, where to start??
I play with tablet weaving, weaving on a floor or table loom, kumihimo, viking braiding, fingerlooping, embroidery (not including cross-stitch), hair braiding (on other people), tooling leather, machine quilting (a lot of my friends have had babies), jewellery making, crochet and I do have a drop spindle. To say I spin would be fibbing – I produce very lumpy thick slubby singles when I try.
I’m much more serious about sewing & dressmaking – specialising in ladieswear for weddings, medieval events or other formal occasions – just a hobby I promise:) Also worked in soft furnishings for a while, so I can cover sofas, make curtains and other things. Recently, have developed another speciality (and good rep) for making guys arming jackets.
I would like to try inkle weaving at some point too.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like quite a mixture – Nightwish, Runrig, Sirenia, Skyclad, Pink, No Doubt, Enya, Led Zeppelin, Clannad, Afro-celt soundsystem, Rammstein, Chris Cornell, Aerosmith, Nine Inch Nails, Caroline Lavelle. I have quite a lot of mp3s on my PC, because I usually listen to em when I’m working.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I adore blues, purples, reds, dark greens and black. I like oranges and yellows in moderation. I absolutely hate pastels and pink – In any shade/tint. Other people are welcome to em, I’ll steer clear:)
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Family – nope. Pets – I wish!
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves and hats – yes. mittens, nope – unless you mean fingerless mittens/gloves, then yes. Ponchos – nope.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
At the moment, I’m going through an accessories phase, so scarfs hats and graduating onto socks/gloves when I’m feeling braver. But in the past, I’ve knitted several jumpers.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I’m finishing off a scarf and working on a sampler blanket.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Depends on the project – I’ve mostly used aluminium needles as I can’t stand any plastics (or dpns for that matter). I recently picked up some cheap bamboo circulars on ebay which I’m looking forward to playing with.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
At least six years and counting! In fact, I’m not even sure where it is any more.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
In the middle of nowhere with peace and quiet and great scenery, walking solo or with friends, with access to a decent hotel or ‘facilities’ (must include shower).
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Can’t think of anything – unless you count trying different crafts!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I’d really like to see a copy of Curvaceous Cables – the technique sounds interesting, and I can see me using it a lot if I can get to grips with it:)
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
yes, how to do closed cables properly, without gaping holes next to em. how to work out accurately in advance how many extra stitches to allow for adding cables to a design while maintaining the desired width. There _must_ be some kind of guideline!
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Beginner – I knit one pair many moons ago, then wore em out and couldn’t face making another pair – the dpn thing. Measurements: 10.5 inches heel-to-toe, 9.5 inches circumference round ball of foot, and 9.5 inches circumference at ankle.
23. When is your birthday?