I really enjoyed sp10, which was my first ever swap; now that I have a little more time, I’ve signed up for sp12. I was excited to see the questionnaire has just been put up 🙂
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Noro ranks highly, because they are the first long color repeat yarns I fell in love with. I prefer wool silk or cotton fibres, in any combination with varying amounts of synthetics.
Acrylic – I detest the squeaky stuff, know what I mean?
Fun-fur? Don’t go there!
I have no objection to acrylic when it’s part of a good blend, or if it’s nice and soft and really feels like a natural fibre.
I shouldn’t use pure angora or other yarns with lots of fly away long fibres – I may like ’em, but they don’t like me.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Shallow filing cabinet drawer, poly bags, the envelopes they arrived in. I seriously need to get organised!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting since I was eight – my gran taught me. I’m probably intermediate, just about. There’s still so much I should learn..
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Not one that’s up to date
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Perfume and bodysprays makes me sneeze:( But I do like candles! I have some candlestick shaped ones, which dribble impressively when burned. At the moment I’m rather fond of bergamot, toasted almond and various citrus scents. Not vanilla though.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Oh yes! Bitter chocolate – the higher the cocoa solid content the better! and chocolate covered marzipan just doesn’t last round me 🙂
Chocolate covered coffee beans
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I could go on for ages here – erm, where to start??
I play with tablet weaving, weaving on a floor or table loom, kumihimo, viking braiding, fingerlooping, embroidery (not including cross-stitch), hair braiding (on other people), tooling leather, machine quilting (a lot of my friends have had babies), jewellery making, crochet and I do have a drop spindle. To say I spin would be fibbing – I produce very lumpy thick slubby singles when I try.
I’m much more serious about sewing & dressmaking – specialising in ladieswear for weddings, medieval events or other formal occasions – just a hobby I promise:) Also worked in soft furnishings for a while, so I can cover sofas, make curtains and other things. Recently, have developed another speciality (and good rep) for making guys arming jackets.
I would like to try inkle weaving at some point too, still haven’t gotten round to it.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like quite a mixture – Nightwish, Runrig, Sirenia, Tristania, Skyclad, Wolfstone, Mica, No Doubt, Enya, Led Zeppelin, Clannad, Afro-celt soundsystem, Rammstein, Chris Cornell, Aerosmith. I have quite a lot of mp3s on my PC so I can listen to em when I’m working.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I adore blues, purples, reds, dark greens and black. I like oranges and yellows in moderation. Just don’t ask me to wear or use pastels and pink – In any shade/tint. Other people are welcome to em, I’ll steer clear:) To be fair I have worked with pink, but that was for a close friend’s kid and there was purple involved too.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Family – nope. Pets – I wish!
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves and hats – yes. mittens, nope – unless you mean fingerless mittens/gloves, then yes. Ponchos – no.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
At the moment, I’m still going through an accessories phase, so scarfs, hats, socks/gloves and bags. But in the past, I’ve knitted several jumpers.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I’m actively working on 3 different sock projects, and have a sampler blanket on the back burner.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Depends on the project – I’ve mostly used aluminium needles as I can’t stand any plastics (or dpns for that matter). I picked up some cheap bamboo circulars on ebay which are great in larger sizes, but I break the ones under 3mm thick too easily.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No, but I’d like to.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
At least seven years and counting! In fact, I’m not even sure if I still have it – it didn’t turn up in the house move.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
In the middle of nowhere with peace and quiet and great scenery, walking solo or with friends, with access to a decent hotel or ‘facilities’ (must include shower).
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Can’t think of anything – unless you count trying different crafts and the associated stash building!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I’d like to see copies of the barbara walker treasuries 1, 2 and 4. I already have the third, and love the designs I’ve tried from it
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
How to work out accurately in advance how many extra stitches to allow for adding cables to a design while maintaining the desired width. I know swatching is part of the game, but there must be some maths way of predicting it.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I discovered magic loop and 2 circular methods, and haven’t looked back. Still won’t revisit dpns yet. I think my sock efforts are beginner-ish, but a couple of friends disagree – who knows? Measurements: 10.5 inches heel-to-toe, 9.5 inches circumference round ball of foot, 10 inches over the instep, and 9.75 inches circumference at ankle.
23. When is your birthday?