Bellatrix (FO Monday Week 1)

Finished Objects, Socks

Here’s the thing – I have a fair number of finished items/objects sitting that I haven’t written up, photographed or posted about. I’m going to try and present one of these projects each Monday over the next few weeks – hence ‘FO Monday’. This week is for the Bellatrix socks I completed in May (I think).

IMGP2595

  • Pattern: Bellatrix, by Gigi Silva/Monkey Toes.
  • Yarn: Elle Jeans dk (2 balls) cotton/acrylic dk, lavender.
  • Needles: 2 x 80cm 2.5mm metal circular.
  • Finished measurements: 10.25in foot length.
  • Gauge attained: 8st to 4in/10cm in stockinette

Gauge challenge

The pattern specified a gauge of 8st per inch and suggests going down a needle size or so to get this if you can’t quite manage it. I’m assuming this means that the desired gauge should be achieved in the patterned stitch.
I only managed to get 8st per inch in the stockinette parts of the sock. In the drop-stitch pattern sections, the gauge turned out much looser overall, maybe about 6-7 st per inch. I was happy with the result for this pair of socks, as they’re intended for schlepping about the house or sleeping in.

For future pairs to be worn out-and-about, a sportweight (or lower yardage fingering) yarn on 2.5mm needles would (for me) probably result in the correct pattern gauge, but a finer gauge in stockinette. So, would need to add a couple of stitches to the base of the sock to balance things.

Other Modifications

I worked the socks toe-up, two at a time, with a modified ‘square’ heel. I used Judy’s magic cast-on, and a sewn bind-off. 1 ball of yarn lasted until the heel was ‘turned’ on both socks. The second ball was used for the heel flap and leg of each sock. Only 3 feet of yarn was left after I finished the sewn bind-off.

Working both socks at once is the only way I actually finish a pair, expecially working at finer gauges. I’ve had a pair of 10/11 st per inch spiral boot socks languishing at part-way up the 2nd sock for months!

Currently on the needles

Toe-up pomatomus – arch increases, gusset and heel completed. Working on the leg slooowly over a 16 st repeat (96 st total).

Toe-up spiral boot socks – 1st sock complete, 2nd sock half way up the foot before the gusset increases.

‘Ziggy-back’ (New) – started off as the ‘Ziggy’ pattern from Knitty using the kureyon sock yarn from my sp. Has changed into an experiment inspired by the ‘Back to basics’ pattern in Knitty.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Bellatrix (FO Monday Week 1)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s