Is it a… hat? scarf? balaclava? headband? sahariane? It’s all of em 🙂
- Pattern: Chameleon – mine
- Yarn: 100g pure linen, 18 wpi, charcoal.
- Needles: 1 x 3.25mm and 1 x 4mm 80cm circulars (magic/lazy loop).
- Circumference=20″/51cm and length= 20″/51cm
This turned out well considering it’s a first attempt at ‘proper’ lace knitting, and I made the design up. I’ve tried it on and it fits! Being rather camera-shy though, I’ve let ‘Sev’ do the modelling. Of all the permutations, my favourites are the hat and scarf.
There is one niggle – I couldn’t figure out how to hide the start of each round in the net section, so the holes look slightly mis-shaped at that point. This also means there’s a noticeable join when the scarf is laid out flat, but this gets lost when it’s being worn so that’s ok. I’d like to figure out knitting ‘seamless’ net for a future lace idea.
Yes, there will be a next time for lace! I enjoyed making this. I’ll freely admit that the k2tog every other st in the net was a little hard on the fingertips, but the end result justified it. I think at some point I’d like to make an ‘openwork’ shrug or cardi; first, I need to practice techniques a bit !
Many thanks to my SP for the yarn and encouragement 🙂
My sp sent me a skein of charcoal linen yarn in her second parcel. She also asked at one point what my thoughts were on knitting lace. I think I said at the time that I hadn’t really met a lace pattern that I’d considered working on (then promptly found the shoalwater shawl pattern). The linen yarn and thoughts about lace in general sparked an interesting little journey…
Have you ever seen the olive drab ‘scrim net‘ stocked by army surplus stores? It can be used as a scarf or as a hat cover for sticking foliage in (sort of camoflage), and you can see through it easily. Ok, I have no intention of wearing twigs in a hat or staring through netting pulled over my face! But I’ve always liked the idea of a lightweight scarf that could be other things too… Inspired more than a little by this and the ‘Buff’ headgear, I went off to look at lace designs.
Erm, perhaps it’s at this point I should mention I’ve never charted, knit or designed lace before…
I decided on a tubular construction, because the finished piece can then turn into a hat more easily if I choose. I wanted a simple net design, and I thought a border on at least one end would add a bit of interest and a firmer edge. I liked the tiger-eye pattern from Barbara Walker’s 2nd Treasury, so started playing with that. Having worked on a chart, I realised the basic repeat was perhaps too wide to fit a whole number of repeats into the number of stitches I needed. I split the chart in half to create a ‘tear-drop’ instead, and cast on for the first attempt.
The picture on the left shows my first attempt at the border and the random netting that I made up as I went along, using 4mm needles. The border pattern turned out far too wide – at least 3 inches unstretched and I could stick two fingers through the large hole in the teardrop. So I frogged, tweaked the chart for the border, and started again with 3.25mm needles, stepping back up to 4mm after the border was finished. The picture on the right is the second attempt, with a netting pattern that is pretty close to what I had in mind. The tear-drop is smaller at about 2.25 inches unstretched.
I’m currently working my way up the netting section, and really looking forward to trying on the finished ‘garment’.